Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: Hi! I was wondering if theres anything I can do about my daughters dad trying to reach out to see my daughter?

My daughters dad hasn't seen her or even tried to see or hear about my daughter. He lives in tennessee and I moved down here with her cause he mentally and emotionally abused me and now I'm terrified hes going to do something to her. He has kidnapped her when she was 3 months old and i'm scared hes going to do it again is there anything that I can do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you were never married and he hasn't legitimately, he has no rights. If he files to legitimate, you can hire an attorney to contest the legitimation.

Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you prevent the father from having any contact with the child, he may decide to file an action to legitimize. If he does so, sure you can object to the legitimation. However, the Court may still determine that the father being in the child's life is in the child's best interest and award him some form of custody & visitation. I would highly suggest you hire an attorney if you are ever served with an action to legitimize.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.