Phoenix, AZ asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Do I need a lawyer to get a visitation schedule to see my child or would that be my right after paternity is confirmed?

The matter will be heard in Fulton Country GA and a petition for Paternity and Child Support was filed. I know I need to file an answer and counterclaim for legitimation to get proper rights in GA and a definitive visitation schedule.

There is already a child support order from Illinois where I used to live. Paternity has been confirmed by dna by the Cook County Court in Illinois.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you choose to represent yourself you will be expected to have the same knowledge as an attorney. You will be expected to handle your own discovery, your case in chief and to prepare all of your documents for Court. I would highly suggest hiring an attorney, because the child support, custody & visitation that comes out of the case will be final. If the child support is higher than it should be you will not be able to modify it for at least 2 years, unless there's a material change in circumstances. And if you end up with less visitation than you want, you won't be able to change that for at least two years either. Thus, wouldn't you rather have an attorney to get your case right the first time?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.