Bethlehem, PA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I file a petition to voluntarily terminate my parental rights?

4 yrs ago I was arrested & ejected from my house for terroristic threats. I threatened to execute my ex wife by sticking a butcher knife in the back of her skull while my 5 year old son watched, then continuing on to kill my son, the family dog & myself (I was under the influence of alcohol and took a double dose of a strong antibiotic that I believe made me feel insane at the time). My ex wife has sole physical and legal custody. I was trying via the courts for 4 years to even communicate or see my son again. A guardian ad litem and reunification counselor were appointed by the court. I almost had a video chat with my son & the reunification counselor, but my son was too terrified to even see me on video. The counselor claimed that my son was trembling with fear, hyperventilating & almost passed out. The reunification counselor stated that no further counseling be done until further notice. Mother moved a man into the house to be a "father" for my son (4 years ago).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: No, you cannot. If the child's mother files to have your fights terminated in connection with an adoption, then you may sign a consent to the termination. Otherwise, no.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.