Pevely, MO asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Collections for Missouri

Q: Is there a way to respond to an alias summons? I just got served papers today for a court date that is 10 days away.

The summons is from Gamache & Myers for World acceptance corporation, AC Breach of Contract. Apparently they've been trying to serve me at an old address for like 6 months. It's from a loan that I supposedly took out in 2016, which attached is the unsolicited check I apparently signed, but none of my payments or anything. I honestly don't ever remember taking out a loan from them that I had never paid on or paid off. So I just don't know if that wasn't attached? But also why would they wait 6 years to take me to court? Is there anything I can do to help my case.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Why they waited is irrelevant. Unfortunately, a lot of interest can accrue in 6 years. If you were served then you need to appear in court or hire an attorney to prevent a default judgment. You can submit written discovery to learn the facts and supporting documents, if any.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.