McDonough, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: Can my birth mother sue for visitation

I was born in California and so were my birth parents. Their parental rights were taken away in 2000 when I was 7 years old. I was adopted the following year in 2001 when I was 8. My adoptive parents are on my birth certificate. I’ve been in contact with my birth mother for about 12 years now and our relationship was fine until two years ago. We’re both in Georgia now.

I’m currently pregnant with my first child and I wanted to know if there was any way she could legally sue me for visitation if I tell her I don’t want her near my child.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: No. You have no legal relationship with your birth mother. So she doesn't qualify as a grandparent to try to get grandparent's rights, and she wouldn't meet those standards anyway. So it's a definite no. You can exclude her if you wish.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.