McKenzie, TN asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: My divorce papers have no child support start date so do the payments start now?

He marked "hand directly to parent" on the papers and when I mentioned this to him he said he's just going to wait for them to come out of his check on its own. Do I need to take him back to court or what do I do because he doesn't want to pay it and the papers was filed March 2, 2023.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: It sounds like you did not go to Court, so you do not know what if anything is going on. Call Court and find out when the divorce decree was entered. Order for CS starts then. If no case at Court, then you are not divorced. If CS is not paid, then you must file a Petition to hold him in Contempt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.