Mercersburg, PA asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I am 17 and I have a daughter, I was looking to be emancipated in Pennsylvania

I provide all expenses for me and my daughter except for a house. My mother is making it extremely difficult for me to parent my daughter. I live in franklin county, pa, which said they do not recognize emancipation. Is there any way for me to bypass that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Schenectady, NY
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Pennsylvania is a very weird bird when it comes to minors (people under 18 years of age). Pennsylvania allows minors to file 'private petitions' and recognizes minors as having standing when they lost access to both parents. However, all courts treat minors as minors even though this asker is fully free and falls under various statutes of the state that give her rights and powers of an adult.

However, there is no such thing as an emancipation proceeding either in Pennsylvania or in any other state. Emancipation is a condition, a status, characterized by a minor who is independent, self-supporting and responsible as an adult in day-to-day decisions. This asker appears to be such a person given her maternity and her caring for her child. However, there is no certificate for that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.