Asked in White Collar Crime and Criminal Law for Nebraska

Q: I have a consoling merchandise charge that I didn't qualify for diversion for that has turned into a warrant. Below $100

I also have a shoplifting & trespassing charge below $50. I believe I had nervous break down. What can I do to change these to anything not associated with theft so that I can secure employment

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You would need to retain a criminal defense attorney or public defender to assist you. You may be able to have your charges reduced or dismissed. It may make sense to take the case to trial and have the prosecutor prove their case or the charges dismissed. Alternatively, if it doesn't make sense to take your case to trial, maybe you can reach an agreement for a different charge so long as it still has a factual basis.

If you ultimately convicted of the charge, you can have theft convictions later set aside in Nebraska after a period of time of remaining without further charges. There is information about filing for a "set aside" on the Nebraska Supreme Court's website. You attorney may also be familiar with employers that have historically been willing to hire employees with a theft conviction as part of their criminal history.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.