Lawrenceville, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: My 10 year old is openly expressing that she does not want to have visitations with her father. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If a court has signed an order giving her father visitation, you will need to produce the child for that visitation, or you could be found in contempt of court. Only an order of the court modifying that will change your obligation to produce the child. Therefore, even if the child says they no longer want to go, if you refuse to allow the father visitation and say they don't have to go, he could file a citation of contempt against you. Thus, you will need to file for a modification of visitation and produce the child until an order changes the current visitation. If the father has never legitimized and there is no order, then you don't have to produce the child for visitation at all. But I would advise you to speak further with an attorney as some important details are missing from your post.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.