Alpharetta, GA asked in Child Custody, Divorce, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: Should i get the Temporary custody order before my spouse did? Is child support needed during this time to gain more adv

I have took my 3 months old baby and seek shelter at my parents house due to high conflict divorce and my husband tend to throw things around the house. He has history of breaking my car and phone since he claimed that the car is also part of his name in it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alex M. Brown
Alex M. Brown
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Augusta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It sounds like you may need to seek a Temporary Family Violence Restraining Order (TPO). This would allow you to obtain a restraining order from your husband, temporary custody of your child and be awarded temporary support, which would include child support. The other option would be to go ahead and file for divorce, so that you could seek a temporary order granting you primary custody and financial support. I would strongly recommend going to see an attorney to see what options would make the most sense for you given your specific circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.