Vero Beach, FL asked in Child Support and Family Law for New York

Q: Under what circumstances in New York can one file for a modification of child support?

Original Child Support Order was put into place 6 years ago. The Child Support has never been modified. In 2021 there was a MOD in the way the CHILD CARE (completely separate from Child support) was to be paid. Went from a personal check to Zelle. The amount wasn't even changed. Fast forward to end of 2022, I filed for a MOD of child support and the Noncustodial parent and his lawyer are saying because it hasn't been 3 years since the last MOD, they are trying to dismiss the case. The cost of living has gone up significantly since 2017, Noncustodial parents income has gone up more than 15%. They put a motion to dismiss my request. I want to know from a lawyers / legal standpoint, how likely is it that this magistrate will see where I'm coming from? Also, worst case scenario, how likely would a judge be to overturn a magistrates decision IF I have to appeal her decision? I just want the other parent to help financially support our child. Not asking for anything unrealistic. Thank you!!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The law is 3 years OR 15%, not both. If there is a 15% increase in the non custodial parent's income, then you are entitled to an increase. Also, it depends on the wording of the last order. If the Magistrate recalculated the child support , then that is the starting date. But if the Magistrate left it alone and did not address it then the starting date (for the 3 years) is the last time it was calculated. You really should retain a lawyer as these things can be complicated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.