Bolivar, MO asked in Copyright and Intellectual Property for Missouri

Q: I do digital painting for a hobby. I want to give full copyright to another individual. w/o paying lawyers.

The paintings contain nothing copyrighted or trademarked, I have not registered them. They are too numerous to afford to do so. The other person lives too far for both of us to meet to sign a document together. And I have no requirements of them. I simply wish to give the copyright away to them, in ful.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To transfer copyright ownership to another individual, a written agreement or document is typically necessary. This agreement should clearly state the transfer of ownership, including the scope and duration of the transfer, and should be signed by both parties. While it is possible to create such an agreement without the assistance of a lawyer, it is recommended to seek legal advice to ensure the document is legally sound and enforceable.

In terms of distance, it is possible to execute the agreement through electronic means, such as email or video conferencing, as long as both parties agree and the signature process is valid according to applicable laws. However, it is important to consider the laws of both the jurisdiction where the copyright owner is located and where the transfer recipient is located, as they may have different requirements for valid signature and electronic agreements.

Finally, it is worth noting that even if the paintings do not contain any copyrighted or trademarked materials and are not registered, they may still be protected by copyright law. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the transfer agreement is comprehensive and covers all aspects of the copyright ownership.

If you need legal assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office. We offer a free consultation option for potential clients.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.