Lititz, PA asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My son was told he is a father. The woman will not communicate or introduce the child to him. The baby was born 9/30/22

What is the next steps for him or me as a grandparent

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The son can file for paternity (best to retain an attorney), and then be prepared to pay child support for eighteen years unless he litigates throughout. The asker will have difficulty in petitioning for grandparent visitation because the family statutes place the biological parents up front as having standing to petition for custody and visitation.

The grandparent would have to overcome the barrier of standing by showing exigent circumstances we here cannot guess at. The asker should see an attorney with all the details.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.