Pittsburgh, PA asked in Collections for Pennsylvania

Q: Does transferring a civil judgment from one county to another in PA restart the statute?

judgment was granted in 2001 in Westmoreland county, transferred to Allegheny in 2012. Can we execute on it, or has it passed the SOL?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: A judgment rendered by a PA court goes "dormant" after five years of inactivity, but may be kept "alive" is the creditor executes on the judgment, or issues discovery in aid, within that five year period.

A judgment rendered by a PA District Court (small claims, under $15K) reaches to the borders of the county where it is rendered, but it can be registered as a judgment of the Court of Common Pleas (within five years of its rendition), and if so registered, will be effective, e.g. operate as a lien, throughout the Commonwealth of PA.

You don't say enough (facts) in your question to answer it reliably. Speak to a PA lawyer about the validity of your judgment and its "life". In my opinion, the mere transfer of the judgment a decade after its entry has no effect on the Statute of Limitations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.