Tampa, FL asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Probate for Florida

Q: Owner of house dies No will. House in Foreclosure. Can Family Estate Sale personal property in house before FC date??

Owner of house dies No will. House in Foreclosure. Can Family Estate Sale personal property in house before FC date??

1 Lawyer Answer
James Clifton
James Clifton
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Florida

A: In order to be able to sell anything, the family needs to file for administration of the deceased person's estate in the probate court of the county where the deceased person resided. If there has been no administration filed, you need to act quickly to make that happen so the personal property inside the house and the house itself can be sold prior to foreclosure. If that has already happened, the personal representative may freely sell the personal property in the house and the house itself. Please feel free to reach out for a free consultation regarding probate and foreclosure defense.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.