Lake Charles, LA asked in Criminal Law, Elder Law, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Louisiana

Q: I was charged with Exploitation of the infirmed x2, Identity Theft x2, and Theft Over $5,000 But Under $20,000.

I'm not 100% sure how are why I was charged for all this. However, the date on the Police report falls into the time frame of when my uncle was being maliciously hacked by the mother of his son. She was apparently hacking into my uncles phone, my grandmothers phone, and my little cousins iPad. She was embedding child pornography in the devices as well as accessing and sending personal information. Unfortunately, my phone was also connected to their phone plan. My uncle filed several police reports for it. I'm assigned the WORST Public Defender! He's hangs up on me every time I've attempted to call and discuss my case. I don't know what to do or plea when I go to court April 13th.

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you are not satisfied with your current legal counsel, then you should explore hiring new counsel. If you are unable to do so, then you need to try again to reach out to your current counsel, even if means going to his office and waiting for him to be available to meet with you. As you know, there are multiple charges here and the charges are serious. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.