Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: We have a parenting plan but can he make me go to Arvada to get my daughter???

We've been having issues we have 50/50 custody and due to all the drama last week I made him meet me at the police station not even 5 minutes away from where we're supposed to meet for the parenting plan but now he's telling me he's going to make me go all the way to Arvada which is like an hour and a half away to pick up my daughter because he was mad that I made him meet me at the cop station. We do have a set place on parenting plan I just didn't feel very comfortable meeting there as to every time we do they start drama call me names all in front of my daughter

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven  Visser
Steven Visser
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If I am understanding your situation, you have a parenting plan with a designated location for exchanging the child(ren). Neither parent should "make" the other meet at a different location unless it is agreed upon, preferably in writing. Parenting time exchanges should also be free from any drama as this is not appropriate to occur in the presence of the children. Having said that, the parents should meet at the court ordered exchange location as a violation of this order could subject that parent to contempt of court. If it becomes necessary to modify the parenting plan to select a different exchange location, then that may need to be brought before the Court if the parents are unable to agree.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.