Scottsbluff, NE asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: how do i change custody

i need more explanation through the process and how to change custody

parent has no custody because of drug past and has changed and gotten better but she is still being held against for that reason

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick

A: With a past record of drug use, it is important to hire an experienced family law attorney in or near the county where the court is located. From experience with the judge, they can best guide you as to what to expect in a suit seeking to regain custody.

It is important you know in advance how long of a track record being clean the judge will expect under your particular circumstances. Is a year enough, or does this particular judge want to see five?

Julie Fowler agrees with this answer

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If the parent now has a history of sobriety, a judge is generally likely to give the parent at least some parenting time with the child. I agree with the other attorney that what specifically is likely in your case can depend on which judge happens to be assigned to your case. Many factors are taken into consideration, including how long it has been since you've had time with the child, the age/wants of the child, etc.

There is some information and forms on the Nebraska Supreme Court's website about the custody process, but your best bet is to hire an attorney to assist you and help you with the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.