Livingston, TN asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: My mother has given me living rights to her property and my brother the remainderman rights.

Do I have to occupy the property to keep my living rights? There are also 2 houses on the property. I live in one and my brother lives in the other one. Do I have living rights to both houses and control as to which one of us lives in which house? Or can the remainderman be asked to move off the property entirely?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The precise terms of the Estate must be examined, and it makes a difference whether it was a Deed or Will Devise. Assuming a simple LE/REM Deed, the life tenant is in control but can be sued for waste or a fraudulent conveyance. Remainderman vests in possession at your death, but has no authority during your life. Hire a competent TN attorney to examine the instrument. Remember someone has to pay taxes and insurance.

Peter J. Weinman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.