Florissant, CO asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Colorado

Q: How am I protected and is this something I should look into or is it too good to be true?

So a local small family owned business is asking for my help as a friend, they are offering a 50/50 partnership (technically less cause someone has a 25% share in their S-Corp business) for a cosign on a $30,000 loan that will save their business and bring it back into the green. They are offering $5,000 of the loan to go to me to pay down some of my debts and they state that I wouldn't have to pay anything back towards the $30,000 loan. But a cosigned loan means both party's are responsible. The reason for the loan is because they are behind on bills due to a break-in/robbery in December and insurance didn't pay out. The loan for them as they state will be used to pay off and catch up on the bills that are behind, they also state that they can afford the said loan payments cause it's cheaper per payment then what they are paying to catch up. As a 22 y/o trying to establish my future in CO is this too good to be true and what protects me if they default a payment?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: You can ask for collateral, like a stock pledge agreement, assignment of accounts, etc.

This type of transaction almost certainly requires an attorney to paper whatever deal is reached. The more complicated; the more it will cost.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.