Lakewood, CO asked in Divorce for Colorado

Q: How to address inconsistancies in other parties Sworn Financial statement. Not provided pertinent supporting docs

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Send a deficiency notice stating what is missing. If still not provided, request a status conference with the court.

Christopher N. Little
Christopher N. Little
  • Centennial, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Hi There!

You ask an excellent question - as you can imagine, inconsistencies in Sworn Financial Statements and pertinent financial disclosures happen all of the time in domestic relations actions. To be really clear, there are many ways to handle this situation and there is not a clear-cut or "one size fits all" type of response. First and foremost, it is important for you to know that parties to domestic relations actions stand in a fiduciary relationship with one another and have a generally heightened legal responsibility to one another to be transparent and forthcoming about their relevant financial circumstances.

I highly suggest that you consult with a qualified domestic relations attorney to discuss your options and whether it makes financial sense to have an attorney involved in the process. From a practical perspective, if you are concerned about a low-value inconsistency, it is not generally a net financial gain to involve counsel. However, if there are substantial and meaningful inconsistencies, I highly suggest that you retain counsel to ensure that you are as protected as possible and to protect your financial future.


Christopher N. Little, Esq.

Managing Attorney

CNL Law Firm, PLLC


*Please note that while I am an attorney, I am not your attorney and do not represent you or your legal interests. It is very important for you to talk to a qualified domestic relations attorney before you take further action. I sincerely wish you only the absolute best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.