Quincy, FL asked in Personal Injury for Florida

Q: What happens if a person sues me and I don't have the money

I was in an accident and didn't know that bodily injury isn't in my coverage. I just found out today that it isn't covered. They told me that I need to get a lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Florida attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. As a general possibility nationwide, the claimant could turn to their uninsured motorist protection coverage. But their carrier could still come after payments they make to their insured. Another possibility is that the claimant could come after personal assets. Another possibility is that the claimant could decide it's a waste of time to pursue a case in which the defendant has no insurance.

What you were told makes sense - speak with a lawyer. Learn what actions you must immediately take, such as responding to the lawsuit to avoid a default judgment for not appearing. The possibilities above are only generalities, and you must speak with a local attorney to learn your options under Florida law. Based on the scope of the lawsuit, your liability in the accident, your possible defenses, your personal assets, and other issues, an experienced Florida attorney would be able to offer you more meaningful guidance than is possible in the brief format of a Q & A forum. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.