Atlanta, GA asked in Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: In Florida, when someone wants to switch from one Broker to another Broker, what form would I need to have?

This is for Florida

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Clifton
James Clifton
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Florida

A: For sellers, the existing brokerage relationship would need to be terminated with the Modification to Listing Agreement (MLA-5x) form. The seller would then need to sign an Exclusive Right of Sale Listing Agreement with the new agent. For buyers, you can write to your agent letting them know that you would like to terminate the agreement. They cannot force you to continue to use their services. However, if they showed you a property and you buy it with a different agent during the protection period, you will still owe the first buyer agent a commission. After you have sent notice of your termination to your former agent, you can enter into an Exclusive Buyer Brokerage Agreement with the new agent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.