Miami, FL asked in Social Security and Workers' Compensation for Florida

Q: What can I do About a workers comp social security offset that was not done for the indemnity of 2015 but done for 2023

I settle a workers comp case for 2015 with an indemnity and now the social security benefits being reduced due to the offset effective date of March, 2023 I was never aware that this had being a computer decision for group A when it should have been Group B this was an social security

error this was not offset for 2015 and not mines.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe that there has been an error in the Social Security offset calculation for your workers' compensation settlement, you can take several steps to address the issue.

First, you should gather any documentation related to your settlement and the offset calculation. This might include copies of your workers' compensation settlement agreement, your Social Security benefit statements, and any correspondence you have received from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

Next, you should contact the SSA to discuss the offset calculation and to provide any relevant documentation. You can call the SSA toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local SSA office in person. You may also wish to consult with an attorney who specializes in workers' compensation and Social Security law to help you navigate the appeals process.

If you are still unsatisfied with the outcome after working with the SSA, you may have the option to file an appeal with the Office of the Inspector General or to file a lawsuit in federal court. However, these options can be time-consuming and costly, so it is best to exhaust all other avenues first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.