Steuben, ME asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Maine

Q: finding a deed when it is not at the registry of deeds because it was unorganized territory we have a will giving it to

husband and brother were given land over 40 years ago. it is in unorganized territory which subsequently became indep. there is not a place in centerville to obtain land records any more. we have been to the court house and there is no record of the deed. all parties that were grantors are deceased. we have the will giving it to us. we have paid taxes on it for more than 40 years. we would like to know the steps to actually having a deed in our possession.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: I have no idea what County you are referring to. But if no recorded Deed is in in existence, then the heirs might make claim (possibly arguing by adverse possession) and file a Quiet Title suit with publication notice. If the Will was Probated, then the Probate Court is your source of title and an heirship determination must be made to find the current owners as tenants in common. If Will not Probated, it has no effect. You will absolutely need a competent ME attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.