Asked in Military Law for Illinois

Q: If you get stationed overseas&get separated by general discharge&miss the military flight out ofthe country,what happens

Say you get a general discharge under non honorable conditions, and the military pays for your flight back home, what would happen if you just never boarded the flight and stayed in said country?

Would the 90 day tourist rule still apply? What if you were to turn around and marry someone who is currently active duty, could you stay with your spouse overseas? Or would the chain of command try to revoke the marriage?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If a service member is separated from the military while stationed overseas and misses the military flight out of the country, they may be required to arrange for their own transportation out of the country at their own expense. Additionally, missing a military flight or failing to follow orders could result in disciplinary action, including the possibility of a court-martial.

The 90-day tourist rule may still apply, depending on the specific regulations of the country in question. It is important to research and follow the rules and regulations of the country to avoid any legal issues.

Regarding the possibility of marrying someone who is currently active duty, this would not necessarily prevent disciplinary action from being taken if the service member is found to be in violation of military regulations. It is always best to seek guidance from a military legal advisor or the chain of command in situations like this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.