Ogden, UT asked in Criminal Law for Utah

Q: Police officer takes a statement but omits information in his written report, does that constitute a false report?

I accidently hit a vehicle in a parking lot moving it 10 to 20 feet. I left the scene because someone outside pointed a gun at me. When I did speak to the police and recounted what happened he omitted that the car I hit was parked unoccupied in the driving lane at the end of a row of parked cars, (it was an accident that I was at fault for, that much I concur with). According to the report, there was no damage. The officer also omitted the fact that someone pulled a gun and pointed at me. Nothing in his report states he checked out my statement. He also did not follow up with the establishment after I had said I had called them, he relied on his statement that he talked to them that night, not after I talked to them. Prosecutor is trying to fine and give me 12 months probation and a class B misdemeanor on my record rather than a plea of abeyance. They are charging me with leaving the scene of an accident with apparent damage. Current attorney is not very helpful.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aric M. Cramer
Aric M. Cramer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: If your current attorney isn't helping, you may need to hire a different attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.