McDonough, GA asked in Family Law and Adoption for Georgia

Q: I want to adopt my nephew in TN, I live in GA for his best interest he is 4. How do I go about doing this?

My nephew's mom is my younger sister has been in trouble with the law, currently on an ankle monitor and has accepted a PPP loan for a business that she never had. She is not making the best decisions for herself nor my nephew and I want to adopt him until her circumstances improve.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should schedule a consultation and speak directly with an attorney to discuss this case. Because the advice given and the steps on how to move forward will depend on whether the mother consents to this change or not. This sounds like guardianship and not adoption. But even in a guardianship the mother could consent or not and the father being a part of the action depends on whether there has been a legitimation action or not. Thus, there is a lot more information that is needed in order to truly advise you, so you should speak to someone personally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.