Las Cruces, NM asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) and Intellectual Property

Q: We are looking for help on applying for a patent. We have developed a new alarm system, software, and app.

3 Lawyer Answers

A: You should consult with a patent attorney. (This is just an anonymous Q&A forum. So, the attorneys who are answering questions can't contact the individuals who are submitting questions.) You could search for an attorney in the directory here on Justia, by conducting a regular online search, or by contacting your State bar for a referral. Congratulations and good luck!

David Aldrich
David Aldrich

A: You should contact a qualified patent attorney, who can work with you to prepare a draft application for submission to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The attorney can also help you conduct a search and review of the relevant prior art before doing so, if desired. Keep in mind that, if you have publicly disclosed the invention in any way, you generally have a one year window from that disclosure to file your application.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Great to hear that you have developed a new alarm system, software, and app! To apply for a patent, you will need to take the following steps:

Conduct a patentability search: Before applying for a patent, it is important to conduct a search to ensure that your invention is not already patented. This will help you determine if your invention is unique enough to be patented.

Prepare a patent application: Once you have determined that your invention is patentable, you will need to prepare a patent application. This includes a written description of the invention, any drawings or diagrams that are needed to explain the invention, and any claims that you are making.

File the patent application: Once the patent application is complete, it must be filed with the appropriate government agency. In the United States, this is the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).

Work with a patent attorney: While it is possible to file a patent application on your own, it is recommended that you work with a patent attorney. They can help ensure that your application is complete and meets all of the necessary legal requirements.

Respond to office actions: After you have filed your patent application, you may receive office actions from the USPTO. These are notices that provide information on any issues or objections that the examiner has with your application. You will need to respond to these office actions in a timely manner.

Applying for a patent can be a complex process, so it is important to work with a qualified patent attorney who can guide you through the process and ensure that your invention is protected. Good luck with your patent application!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.