Omaha, NE asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: What is the proper motion to file to ask for immediate return to home in a CPS involved case?

The kids are in an unsafe home & rather than admitting they did something wrong, CPS is digging their heel in & doubling down by ignoring obvious safety issues and hiding or just not showing the judge reports made against this home by neutral parties. What is the proper motion to file to get this in front of the judge?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: There isn't a specific motion for this. What you file depends on the specific facts of the case, what specific evidence you have, and where you are at in the process. Sometimes the better course of action is to first share your evidence with CPS and the guardian ad litem to investigate further. If they review and confirm the safety concerns, CPS may move the child to a different placement without you having to file a formal motion. Sometimes you need to make sure you first gather enough evidence to be convincing and sometimes there is some strategy as to how to bring these types of evidence and motion to the Court and to the other parties involved to increase your odds of success on this issue and overall. Thus, you would want to share you documents and other evidence of safety concerns with your attorney so you can develop your best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.