Columbus, GA asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Health Care Law for Georgia

Q: Boyfriend was charged with aggravated assault (Im the victim) Is there any way the charges can be dropped?

Got into a disagreement with my boyfriend which led to a heated argument. I was struck in the head. I called the police and he was charged with aggravated assault - family violence. I'm looking to drop the charges. I understand this is at the DA's discretion. I looked into affidavit for non-prosecution and was wondering if that could help his case. Due to this being a felony, I understand this will cause much distress in regards to finding a job, renting an apartment, and even applying for gov assistance if he was to ever need it. What is the best course of action I can take for the case to be dismissed?

Ps, he is diagnosed with a personality disorder and was wondering if that could help in the dismissal of the case, or even just get him the help he needs rather than being charged and doing time. Thank you for your answers.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: This is my core practice area, and he needs a strong lawyer at a minimum. You may benefit from independent counsel as well, since the State can be very aggressive leaning on alleged victims during the case.

ANYTHING you say to the State can get twisted and turned around, so be VERY careful. They are NOT on your side nor your SO's. They work for the State and will betray your confidences.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.