Denver, CO asked in Adoption and Family Law for Colorado

Q: What all do I need to file to contest an adoption in Colorado?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rebecca Pescador
Rebecca Pescador
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Westminster, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: As you have stated it, it is impossible to answer this question.

That will depend on whether the adoption has been completed or not first. If it has, then it depends on how long ago it was completed to determine whether you even still can appeal it.

If it has not been completed, then you would definitely still have time to contest it. What you need to file is very dependent upon your grounds for contesting it. I am assuming that you are one of the biological parents, otherwise you most likely do have have standing and therefore will not be allowed to even be heard.

As a very general statement, but the most that can be said in response to the question as posed, you would need to file a response letting the Court know you don't agree with the adoption. You will need to tell the Court why you don't agree and be prepared to provide evidence related to your reason.

I strongly encourage you to obtain the assistance of an experienced adoption attorney to proceed with this. While the adoption process is relatively straight forward when there is no contest, a contest makes it a whole different ball game. With stakes this high, you want to be sure you don't make mistakes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.