Dilliner, PA asked in Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can an attorney help me get a mortgage lien removed from my home that was paid off 25 years ago but never satisfied

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Hire a PA attorney to file a Quiet Title action. You must prove that the Note was paid in full. It can be difficult to serve old lender/noteholders, so publication notice may be necessary. When you win, you must draft a precise proposed Judgment, which you will record a certified copy thereof to release the lien in the land records.

Peter J. Weinman agrees with this answer

Peter J. Weinman
Peter J. Weinman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Attorney Avery is correct, but before I went that route, I would start by trying to locate a "duplicate" satisfaction of mortgage from the lender or its successor. If they are still in business, call them and ask for a duplicate satisfaction. If you cannot locate the lender or determine their successor, you may wish to retain one of the companies that provide this service (www.GoRequire.com and www.PropLogix.com being two of them). For about $500, they will track down the lender and obtain a satisfaction for you. If that fails, the quite title action may be your only option.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.