Asked in Bankruptcy for New York

Q: Need help filing for bankruptcy, possibly pro bono.

I lived in Ithaca, NY for 7 years and had to go back to my home country because of an illness.

I left some credit card debt which I cannot pay. 1) What should I do to file for bankruptcy? 2) Is there someone that would be willing to help pro-bono? 3) Would this problem bar me from having a visa, should I find a way to come back again to the US?

Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carl Nelson
Carl Nelson
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Rye Brook, NY

A: Your questions are of a mostly general nature and really do require that you consult with an attorney to determine whether a bankruptcy filing is justified, if so under which chapter, and a host of other issues that would need to be reviewed. Whether you find an attorney to represent you pro bono will also depend on the factual circumstances; you could always start with a legal aid society closest to where you live to see whether you qualify for services.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.