Palm Harbor, FL asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Florida

Q: How to get formal notice to someone overseas?

I have completed the entire form for Pinellas county, however the other beneficiary lives in Europe and neither she nor I have been able to figure out how to satisfy this requirement:


Under penalties of perjury, I swear or affirm that on (date) ______________, a copy of the Petition

for Summary Administration, the Petition to Determine Homestead Status (if filed), Petition to Determine

Exempt Property (if filed) and a copy of the formal notice thereof filed in the above proceeding were mailed

by United States registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, postage prepaid, or were delivered in

a manner permitted by Florida Probate Rule 5.040(a) to: "

All documents for other aspects of the estate have been scanned and sent as email attachments, but this seems to not be acceptable for the "Formal Notice" needed by Florida.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lauren Nagel Richardson
Lauren Nagel Richardson
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Gainesville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Hi! Thanks for your question. If the other person is also an heir or other interested party, they can sign a joinder, waiver and consent to the petition. This joinder, waiver and consent form also includes language stating that the person waives notice and hearing. If you can find the joinder, waiver and consent form, then use that instead of formal notice. Have them sign (even electronically) and return it to you to file together with your other court documents. If you are still having difficulty filing a summary administration on your own, then you may need a probate attorney. Our office handles probate estates anywhere in Florida, and we offer a free 15 minute phone consultation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.