Philadelphia, PA asked in Landlord - Tenant for West Virginia

Q: My rent is paid but now she's expecting property tax money for 2017 back taxes. Now she won't let me get rest of belongi

Now she is holding what I had left to move in the garage and I have been told that I have to do a civil suit. She has paid her taxes by the due date but until I give $600 I can't get my belongings. I've lived there almost 3yrs and moved first wknd in April. Those taxes aren't my responsibility nor were they ever discussed upon me moving in. $300 a month rent. Last year she changed locks, taped power box etc . I have kept a journal on her for over a year. Mail has came w my first name and her last name. Then Chime notified me about my account. I don't have an account but the pw that was used was hers. Trying to get an account so she could take me ss check. I knocked on her door to get my things and her bf lied saying she wasn't home. She was standing in the window calling the police tried to get me for trespassing. She's very difficult to deal with and very vindictive. I need help because she'll get worse and my things will be gone because I've seen her do it to others. Thank you, Pam j

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Stapleton
Matthew Stapleton
  • Huntington, WV
  • Licensed in West Virginia

A: I would recommend contacting Legal Aid of West Virginia. They provide no cost legal services to WV residents and I believe they can handle landlord tenant issues like this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.