Martinsburg, WV asked in Family Law for West Virginia

Q: How to create a legally binding document that would assign ownership to a house during separation

My boyfriend and I have been together for over 6 years and now own 2 homes together. I am on the deed for both, but only the mortgage for 1. We would like to create a legally binding agreement that if either if us decide we want to separate that a quit claim would be filed for both houses to assign ownership to the 1 house to me and the other house to him. There would be no changes to the mortgage to the 1 with both of our names as we have agreed to stay financially responsible for it together until refinancing was an option in the future. Is this something that can be done? If so, what options do we have to get this started?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Martha Warriner Jarrett
Martha Warriner Jarrett pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: The simple answer to your question is yes, it can be done. This falls within the family law area and any family law lawyer in your area (I'm in California so I can't do it) should be able to draft an appropriate agreement for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.