Delavan, WI asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Wisconsin

Q: On Feb 14th a child 8 years old got grandma's car keys. He put it in reverse and went thru my sliding glass window.

Grandma did not have car or homeowners ins at the time. My apartment was boarded up for 49 days. I had to live in complete darkness. He stopped the SUV 2 1/2 feet from where I was sitting. I didn't suffer physical damage but a lot of emotional distress. I am in the care of my Dr. Do I have a case for small claims court and what do I need to prove my case? Do I even have a chance to win?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Wisconsin attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your ordeal. It appears that you have a straightforward case for the property damage. However, recovery is another issue, with the vehicle owner having neither auto or homeowner's coverage. How those losses will be treated by a renter's policy or the property owner would require additional information. In terms of the forty nine-day delay and emotional distress, that is less clear-cut. A local attorney should advise on that, based on state-specific laws and additional details. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.