Memphis, TN asked in Bankruptcy for Tennessee

Q: Can a debt be validated after wages have been garnished?

I was making payments on an old account with the courts but missed several payments. Now my wages have been garnished but the amount owed has tripled due to prejudgment interest. Is that legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can ask the Court Clerk to explain the Judgment amount to you. But it will legally grow exponentially with time. Read whatever contract you had with Creditor, and if none, read the Judgment. BR is a possible option, and be careful with your assets. A Notice of Exempt Property might be in order. Judgment is good for 10 years unless it is extended.

Timothy Denison and Michael Hollins Sr. agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.