Pegram, TN asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Tennessee

Q: Can I sue the estate of someone who molested me and was convicted. This was almost 25 years ago. He just recently passed

My mother and aunt were in charge of his estate I'm guessing. I have had zero contact since the day I testified. I have always wanted to sue him but was afraid to see him. Now that he is gone, can I sue the estate? Conviction happened in Tennessee. He was a resident and passed in Mississippi.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Looks like he died a MS resident. You might check in County of death as to whether there is a Probate or not. If so, then consult with a MS attorney about possibly filing a claim. But any suit for damages would have to be in TN where attack occurred, and your SOL ran a long time ago.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.