Mansfield, MO asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Missouri

Q: 3 real estate properties in Missouri to be sold and divided between me and 2 sisters.

My mother told me she and her husband agreed to pass 3 properties to my 2 sisters and I. My sister was supposed to sell all 3 and divide the money 3 ways. Instead she convinced my mothers widower to give all of them to someone else. I just found out 2 years after his death. Is there anything I can do to make her pay for the stolen inheritance? By her admission, she convinced him to give them to someone else. I don't know if there was a will or not. I have very little information, as she was never very forth coming (even with my mothers death or his death.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: At the very minimum, hire a MO attorney to search the three titles and determine present record ownership. If you are an heir, then a suit for a Sale For Partition might be available.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.