Baton Rouge, LA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Minnesota

Q: Dad passed away in MN, had a small check didn't have estate but check says estate. how do we cash this?

In MN an estate has to be $75,000. He doesn't have this and doesn't have an estate. He has one check from a workers comp check that is worth about $13,000. How do we go about getting this cashed. We are also in a different state. Does it need to go through probate or is there a way to get a affidavit signed and get it cashed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Don Oliver Keene
Don Oliver Keene
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Dothan, AL

A: I think we need more information to answer this question. If your father lived in and passed away in Minnesota, you will need to likely speak with a Minnesota Attorney. Generally, Probate is initiated in the court of the county where the decedent resided at time of death, I would assume Minnesota will need you to go through probate, but you should put this question in the Minnesota Estate Planning forum or reach out to a Minnesota Attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.