Clinton, TN asked in Divorce and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: How much can I ask for after only 2 years of marriage to relocate. I have no money.

After 2 years of marriage, my husband wants a divorce. I have no money. Husband has about 300,000 in assets.

I want to make a small reasonable request so I can have money to rent me somewhere to live. I live in TN.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: That short marriage does not give you an interest in his separate properties. Instead you should have your lawyer demand what you need to transition for the next five years, and not agree to an ID divorce until you get what you want. Without an agreement, he will have to prove grounds for the divorce, which may not exist. At least figure out your money needs for a year and do not agree until cash is transferred. You apparently have nothing to lose. If his health is bad, it may be prudent to not agree and possibly become a surviving spouse.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.