Anderson, IN asked in Traffic Tickets for Indiana

Q: Unsafe Start driving a Manual

I have a CDL with a manual restriction. I just bought a car on Saturday, 6 days ago, that's a manual. I drove it across town, about 1.5 miles away, and he was giving me tips. I went to leave, exiting to the main road, I pulled the clutch out a bit too much and chirped the tires. There was a cop coming towards me and I was already shocked, so I instantly stopped and flagged her to come over, since I knew she was going to get me anyways. She was super mad, I didn't have any paperwork, but the title, in the car. I had insurance for it as well. The Sargent came and told me I had a manual restriction and I wasn't supposed to be driving it. I was freaked so I didn't really tell him it was for a semi. I explained I was still learning and they were going to impound my car and take me to jail over this, ended up with a unsafe start after a bunch of words of how upset they were. I have my friend as a witness, as well as pictures of the road, no marks, etc.

Should I fight this? How? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA

A: You should determine what the possible penalties are going to be and if this will result in any points on your driving record. (points are bad). There are traffic ticket attorneys that practice in all states. You need to consult an attorney in your local area that practices this kind of law. Thank you for using Justia Ask a Lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.