Asked in Real Estate Law for Iowa

Q: What are my options for keeping or selling my property?

I'm a Singapore citizen who owns a boarding house in Jefferson County, IA. The property was being managed by a local friend while I left the country for an overseas job. Last year, my friend had to move to Chicago and chose one tenant to take care of the property, which was the start of a lot of problems. To make the story short, now I don't even know who are staying in the house but I have to continue paying property taxes even nobody is paying rent to me. What are my options? If I want to sell it, how should I go about it? I'm not able to leave my current job long enough to do everything needed to sell the house. Thank you for any advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Hire someone local to the property such as an attorney to act as the property manager/landlord. Have him file suit for eviction of the occupants. It can be difficult, may require your appearance in Court, or will involve the Sheriff removing them. Then have the manager sell the property or rent it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.