Boerne, TX asked in Criminal Law

Q: My wife found a wallet in a grocery store parking lot and threw it in the trash at home, did she commit a crime,if so it

We are in Texas

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II

A: The proper thing for your spouse to have done is to turn the wallet into the grocery store manager, or to the police. The wallet was lost property and the owner retained rights to his property. By moving it away from the place it was lost, your spouse effectively deprived the owner from the chance to locate the wallet. This is tantamount to theft. If you can retrieve it, you should turn it into the police. We were driving to SLC last March, my daughter found a wallet on the ground as she got out of the car. It had money, credit cards and ID in it, I looked at the ID, and got the owner's name. Was going into the Creamery (market with really good ice cream) to ask them to announce name on PA, when I saw the owner leaving. I asked him his name and handed him his wallet. Suggested he not carry it in his back pocket. His wife said: "I have told him the same thing." It is really rough to lose your wallet, replace all cards, insurance cards and DL, takes a lot of time and effort. Your spouse didn't do the guy any favors. How would spouse want someone to handle his lost wallet? Thanks for using Justia, Ask a Lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.