West Monroe, LA asked in Divorce for Louisiana

Q: Can my spouse sign an agreement that I will get the entire house and any value there-in, in the event of a separation?

We aren't sure if we are going to get divorced, but we want to make sure each other feel safe in this time of unknowns.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You or both of you certainly can do that----but before doing so, I would contact a famliy law attorney or 2 and consult with them---a general consult---and learn of your rights if you do get divorced and what can or should be done. Some family law attorneys will charge you for an initial consult and others will not so please feel free to contact multiple family law lawyers and ask about consultation charges. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.