Asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: im located in Colorado.. I am on probation for a felony drug case

out of Wyoming although I reside in Denver Co; Denver County called me for Jury Duty. I was advised from the judge clearly that I cannot vote.

This is one of the criterias to serve on a jury right? therefore doesn't this excuse me? Is there a relevant statute?

I was just also excepted into drug rehab w/no outside contact leave in 24 hrs for 30 days, my PO is also ok w/it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Danielle M. Loth
Danielle M. Loth
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Greenwood Village, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Hello:

A conviction will not automatically disqualify you from a juror pool - unless it is a grand jury. There are just a few reasons you can be disqualified, which can be found on this page:

However, it does sound like jury service would be a hardship for you, as it would cause issues with your ability to comply with the terms of your probation. You likely have a good reason to request a postponement for your service. You need to do this at least a week before you are supposed to report for jury duty. You can make that request here:

Last, if it is too late to request a postponement in advance, you could show up the day of and share your hardship with the jury commissioner and/or judge at that time.

There are penalties that may occur if you fail to appear for your jury duty, as you are under summons to do so, which is another thing to keep in mind.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.