Tallahassee, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: If the petitioner fails to send mandatory financial affidavit to respondent, is that grounds for default or dismissal?

This is a family law case where Petitioner is seeking visitation and child support review. Petitioner has yet to send financial affidavit. I sent mine to him only for it to be returned to me because petitioner moved and has not provided respondent with updated address as required by court of law. Is this also grounds for default or dismissal?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your financial affidavit should be filed with the clerk of court, with a copy to Petitioner at the address on the pleadings that were filed. It is possible that you can move for a dismissal based on Petitioner's failure to pursue the matter. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

1 user found this answer helpful

Destardes Moore
Destardes Moore
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I recommend speaking with a local family law attorney to determine if a motion for dismissal would be in your and the minor child(ren)'s best interest. If not, a motion to compel can be filed to request Petitioner's compliance. Ensure you comply with all local rules that may require action on your part prior to filing a motion to compel. Good luck with everything!

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.