Hazlehurst, GA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: My ex and I have been divorced since 2012, he literally only paid one child support payment, can I get reimbursed?

We separated in 2010 and he owed back support from that time. My ex moved to Oregon after the divorce (from South Carolina) he worked under the table for a friend and lived with this friend until both kids were 18 (~5 years). South Carolina wouldn't do anything about collecting the money. I was told by the child support office that they couldn't do anything unless he was working and/or filing taxes. My kids are 25 and 27 now. He owes me at least 21,600. Can I still collect this money ? He now lives in Mississippi and has a job at a hospital.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Yes, you can still collect this money.

Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You can always attempt to collect child support arrears, provided the state that governs those arrears does not have a statute of limitations that has run. However, it sounds like you have not had much looking using the Division of Child Support Services in various states to collect. Thus, you should consider hiring a private attorney to assist you in obtaining a judgment and then post-judgment collections, in order to help you actually obtain the money owed. If he is currently working, post-judgment collections procedures will be very important because a judgment doesn't help you much if you don't know how to collect on it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.